Embers of the Legion - Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Embers of the Legion - Official Forum

The official forum of Embers of the Legion WoW Private server.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Connection problems and high latency...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Spydirman
Know It All
Know It All
Spydirman

Embers Credits : 5797

Connection problems and high latency... Empty
PostSubject: Connection problems and high latency...   Connection problems and high latency... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:10 am

I have always had a crap internet connection (2way satellite and avg of 1-2k latency) and I've gotten used to the lag between clicking loot, and actually getting the item..

But lately i have been having strange issues on log in... particularly in Dalaran, but not exclusive to it... I will log in and it will take a moment for all the NPC's and building to load, then everything will look fine, but i won't be able to interact with anything (no communication with server) or chat... this will last for about 2 minutes, then i'll get disconnected... right before i disconnect, whatever i'd been typing will show up in chat, etc (like the server just realized i was there, right before kicking me off)...

If i disable all my addons, it seems to help a little (however there are other times when it works fine with all addons loaded)...

I'm not sure if there's been a change to (or even if there is) a threshold for latency levels where the server will just not bother with your client, but it seems as though if i can get things running just quick enough (no addons, etc) then i have no troubles...

If this is the case, then it would explain why the additonal lag of a big city like Dalaran would be pushing me past that threshold??? I dunno... not even sure how it works on the server side of things...

but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers!
-SpyDIRmaNz
Back to top Go down
Cadeyrn
Cadeyrn

Embers Credits : 5816

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems and high latency...   Connection problems and high latency... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 am

Dalaran seems to be a problem area for me too, but I get that load lag other places as well.

I also run into high latency from time to time, but my assumption is that it's generally an ISP issue. There are times when pinging and running a tracert from here to the server reveals a bottleneck in Montreal. Again, *shrug* that has little or nothing to do with the game server... it's right before the ping hits the server. At these times releasing and renewing my NIC, flushing the DNS and deleting the WoW cache accomplish nothing. Right now, the ping yields an average of 62 ms.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mnsdesigns.com
Spydirman
Know It All
Know It All
Spydirman

Embers Credits : 5797

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems and high latency...   Connection problems and high latency... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:40 am

I completely realize my high latency is the result of crap internet (satellite in my case), but it seems to be more of a problem lately than it was before (not just lag, but actually failing to connect with server properly, and getting disconected at login)...

This happens more often than not when i make the mistake of loging out in dalaran.. I have to turn off all addons, just to get loged in properly, fly out of dalaran, and relog with addons enabled elsewhere...

A few people have noted that dalaran is laggy, i'm just thinking that perhaps it is compounding my already terrible lag to a point that the server just doesn't even bother with my client (latency threshold of some sort)... I'm not sure if that's how things are working or if there has been any adjustments on the server side of things, but it's been hapening a fair bit lately to me (fail to log in completely, then DC) and not just in dalaran... the fact that it didn't happpen before (even with the same or higher latency on my end) is the reason for my suspicion about a change...

I know i need a better net connection to play wow properly... trust me i've spent over a year looking... but if i can find a way to play, well enough, for now without getting DCed, i'd make do, and be happy Smile

-Spydy
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Contributer
Contributer
Nellie

Embers Credits : 5722

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems and high latency...   Connection problems and high latency... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:13 am

Speaking about Dalaran. When i go into there it takes about 5 minutes to get my character move from inn to outside.
The place is lagging me like a hobo without booze Sad
About my Internet connection, i got no problem with my internet connection. My avg latency is about 60 to 150 around there. Althought i guess everyone who has little not so good computer has massive warping and lagging in Dalaran
(fps drop's into 5-10 per second)
That problem could be solved just by upgrading your computer part's or something like that ^^

Happy Gaming!

Nellie
Back to top Go down
Cadeyrn
Cadeyrn

Embers Credits : 5816

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems and high latency...   Connection problems and high latency... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:53 am

Latency and frames per second go hand-in-hand. fps is certainly not always a hardware issue. My video card is an nVidia 7600 GS... one of the last of the good AGP cards. My normal latency is about 105 and the fps is normally acceptably high. There are just those odd times in Dalaran when it takes forever and a day for everything to come alive and the latency and fps stink.

I have noticed, however, that there are at least 3 distinct layers that load up in Dalaran... Sky, then local ground, then background and buildings. After that come the NPCs and everything else. This could certainly slow things down. As Scotty said to McCoy in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, "The more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.mnsdesigns.com
Denyde
Head of Staff
Head of Staff
Denyde

Embers Credits : 9042

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems and high latency...   Connection problems and high latency... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 9:14 am

clear your cache, it should fix this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems and high latency...   Connection problems and high latency... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Connection problems and high latency...
Page 1 of 1